My Roman ancestors said “give the Kludges circuses, and they
won’t notice you taking their bread.”
2 months before his assassination
- The opening comment is a distortion of Juvenal's famous assertion, in Satire X, that the mob cares not for freedom, only "bread and circuses". In a little more detail, it says:
- They shed their sense of responsibility
- Long ago, when they lost their votes, and the bribes; the mob
- That used to grant power, high office, the legions, everything,
- Curtails its desires, and reveals its anxiety for two things only,
- Bread and circuses.
- The nation of Panem is named for "panem et circenses" (bread and circuses).
- The Star Trek episode "Bread and Circuses" was a parody of the television industry and Trek's own ratings problems.
- A jaguar is a big cat.
- Tzar is a alternate spelling of Tsar.
- Nero was a Roman emperor whose reputation and legacy has been questioned by many historians due to the propaganda and questionable reliability of the sources available.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.